*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links.
Wisdom teeth are some of the most problematic teeth in the human mouth. These teeth do not come in until later in life, often when the mouth is already filled with other teeth. Individuals need to make sure they know the problems wisdom teeth can cause so they can take action to protect their smiles.
Wisdom Teeth Are Not Necessary
Human beings no longer need wisdom teeth because there are plenty of teeth for food to be chewed. Often, wisdom teeth simply get in the way and make brushing and flossing more difficult.
Most people do not get their wisdom teeth until 17 to 21 years of age. Often, there is no room for the teeth to cut through the gum tissue so they become impacted. When this happens, individuals need to seek Dental Clinics Near Me.
Common Problems That Can Arise With Wisdom Teeth
When wisdom teeth begin to cause problems, individuals need to see the dentist immediately. The following offers information on the most common types of wisdom teeth problems that can develop.
1. Pain is one of the most common issues when individuals are suffering from wisdom teeth issues. When wisdom teeth become impacted, pain is almost always a part of the equation. Pain will often radiate to the ears or jaw. Taking immediate action is important so relief can be found.
2. When there is not enough room for wisdom teeth, cleaning becomes overly difficult. Individuals may find brushing and flossing become almost impossible for the back teeth. When a person cannot brush their teeth properly, decay can set in quickly.
3. Infections are another problem that commonly occurs with wisdom teeth. When the teeth are not kept clean, multiple types of infection may result. Infections can spread to other teeth and can even get into the bloodstream.
4. Because of the crowding of wisdom teeth and their pressure on surrounding teeth, gum infections are more likely to occur. The condition may start off as simple gum irritation. Over time, an infection can set in and could eventually lead to tooth loss if left untreated.
5. There is also an increased risk of cyst development when there are wisdom teeth problems. A cyst often occurs when a tooth is attempting to cut through the gum tissue but does not have enough room.
Dental Checkups Are Important
Individuals need to make sure they see their dentist twice a year for checkups. During these appointments, the dentist will discover possible wisdom teeth issues before they worsen. Often, these teeth are removed before they cause any problems as a prophylactic measure.
Seek Wisdom Teeth Removal
Those who are having wisdom teeth problems need to see the dentist right away. Often, individuals need to have their wisdom teeth removed because there is not enough room or the teeth are causing overcrowding.
Most dentists remove all four wisdom teeth at once. This procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia. By having the wisdom teeth removed, individuals will not have to worry about damage being done to surrounding teeth.
Most people recover quickly from having their wisdom teeth removed. If the teeth are not impacted, there is usually no need for stitches. Even with stitches, the recovery process is generally rapid, and removing the teeth does not cause a lot of discomforts.
Individuals who are dealing with wisdom tooth pain should seek their dentist for an appointment. The dentist will decide if the teeth need to be removed so the pain can be stopped.
A family lifestyle blogger who left her corporate job in Cebu for a slower life in Iligan City, Philippines. Healthline – Best Mom Blogs 2017, ESCooped – Cebu’s Top Family Blogger 2016, Top 10 Blogs Voice Boks Comedy Edition, Bloggys 2015 – Finalist, Family and Relationships Category, featured on BlogHer.com and HumorWriters.org. Jhanis also works as a Freelance Writer/Content Creator and manages a small farm house decor business when she’s not taking naps.